Thursday, March 28, 2024 8:57:15 PM

Broken File Association

3 years ago
#18012 Quote
I set up a shortcut to a program called AS400.ws that opens with PCSWS.EXE.
When I launch the app normally without SecureLockdown, it loads normally.
When attempting to launch from the circle dock, I get an error: "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.
I have also confirmed the default apps does have .ws files configured to open using pcsws.exe.
3 years ago
#18014 Quote
If the System Lockdown > Local Level > No Desktop option is enabled, disable it and try again.
3 years ago
#18015 Quote
I've already attempted this, and get the same error.
3 years ago
#18016 Quote
I did find that if I enable the "Show Windows File Folder Menus" option, and instead right click on the app I added to the Circle Dock, and then select "open with", I am able to select "PCSWS.EXE" and the program loads as it's supposed to, however this workaround is not a viable option for our configuration.
3 years ago
#18021 Quote
When the No Desktop option is enabled, the file association feature cannot function because the Windows Shell is disabled. Enabling it should have fixed the issue. Try disabling the "No Win Shell" option.
3 years ago
#18022 Quote
I also have the No Win10 Shell option disabled.
Currently, I have Secure Lockdown configured to be very basic. Below are the current enabled settings I have in my configuration.

System Lockdown > App Launcher - Circle Dock is selected
System Lockdown > Browser Lockdown - Enable Chrome is selected
System Lockdown > Local Level Tab - no boxes checked
System Lockdown > Machine Level Tab - no boxes checked
System Lockdown > Log off / Restart - no boxes checked
Chrome Lockdown > General Options - No Open Dialog, No Auto Fill, No Chrome Login, No Web Store, No Extensions, No Omnibox Search, No Incogneto Browsing, No History, Delete Cache, Reset Chrome, No Chrome Updates selected
Chrome Lockdown > Layout Options - No Edit Bookmarks selected
Chrome Lockdown > Browser Reset - Inactive 0 min
Chrome Lockdown > Allowed Sites - 1 url added
Background Apps - nothing configured
3 years ago
#18032 Quote
Are there no further updates to this thread? Or is someone continuing to try to look into the issue? There have been daily updates to this thread up until 4 days ago when I mentioned that the settings that I've been told to select are already selected, yet the problem still occurs.
3 years ago
#18044 Quote
This error happens only when the exe launcher (Windows Explorer) is not accessible. This can occur if Windows Explorer is removed, or the Windows Desktop (Windows Shell) has been removed. Secure Lockdown can remove the Windows Shell, but does not remove Explorer. It's unclear why this is occurring on your system. Have you tried this setup one different system?
3 years ago
#18116 Quote
I have attempted another system, and continue to encounter the same issue. Windows explorer has not been removed. Windows explorer is also still accessible on the machine. (I am testing after configuring the circle dock, without checking the "enable secure lockdown button", so Windows explorer is most definitely still running).
3 years ago
#18117 Quote
Going back to what I posted before, If I enable the Right-Click Menu "show windows file folder menus" option, and within the circle dock right click on the file, then go to open with, it allows me to open with pcsws.exe, and select the always use this app to open .ws files option. Upon clicking ok, it opens the program as it should.

If I then close the program, and within the circle dock, right click the program icon, and select open, it again opens normally.

If I again close the program, and within the circle dock, just click the icon, it then throws the error that this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.