Tuesday, April 30, 2024 7:50:52 PM

Windows 8.1 - How do I diable

10 years ago
#1453 Quote
Hi, I have installed the trial version secure lockdown v2 on my windows 8.1 laptop.
I clicked most of the lockdown options (I can't remember which ones) and it all worked well.

However, I can't disable it now as I only have access to the Metro screen (not the desktop, charms, etc).

What can I do to disable it (so I can re-configure it)?

Regards,

Jon
10 years ago
#1454 Quote
Press the "Alt-Shift-S" key sequence. This will invoke the Secure Lockdown Configuration utility.
10 years ago
#1455 Quote
Unfortunately this doesn't do anything from the metro screen (which is the only screen I have access to)?
Regards,
Jon
10 years ago
#1456 Quote
If the Charms are not accessible and the Windows Logo key does nothing, then the Secure Lockdown utility is running and you should be able to call it up with the key strokes. Otherwise, if you have anti-virus software running, that may be blocking the utility from running. At that point, you'd need to log into a different admin account and delete the locked down account and start over.
10 years ago
#1457 Quote
Hi,

I logged in as a local administrator and deleted the local locked account (which is also a domain account).
I then logged in again as the locked account (its a domain account) but I still only see the metro screen (same as before I deleted the account, i.e. I cannot get to the desktop, ALT+SHIFT+S doesn't work, etc).

Therefore it doesn't look like I can disable the product from my network account?

Any other ideas on how to disable?

Regards,

Jon

10 years ago
#1458 Quote
For security reasons, you shouldn't use a domain admin account. Try creating a local admin account, then lock that down.
10 years ago
#1459 Quote
Hi, I will lock down a specific account, but I need to unlock my domain account on this machine.
Any ideas (apart from completely re-installing the OS)?
Regards,
Jon
10 years ago
#1460 Quote
If you only have one admin account on the machine, you'll need to either restore to a Windows Restore Point using a windows 8 installation disk, or re-install the OS.
10 years ago
#1461 Quote
Hi,

I have a local admin account (administrator) which I can get into the machine with no probs.
I then have my domain account (hillyejo) which is the one that is locked.

I logged in as Administrator and tried to delete the hillyejo account.

But when I login again as hillyejo nothing has changed?

I tried uninstalling the application using the Administrator account and it said I couldn't.

Is there a way of removing the application using the Administrator account (so I can get back onto the machine with my hillyejo account)?

Regards,

Jon
10 years ago
#1462 Quote
Hi, I resolved this by:

1. Logging in as my local admin account.
2. Deleting the user profile directories (c:\users) for the offending users.
3. Restarted and logged in as the offending account.
This then told me I there was an issue and I was using a temporary account.

To fix this I...

1. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
2. Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named xxxx.bak.
3. Exit Registry Editor.
4. Log off the system.
5. Log on to the system again.

Now the application is not running and I have access to the desktop.

Regards,

Jon