Thursday, April 18, 2024 1:59:35 AM

Secure Lockdown v2 IE & Win 7 HID Drivers

11 years ago
#788 Quote
Testing IE version of SLv2 on win 7 pro x64 w/ IE 9 and touchscreen TV. IE control is everything we  want, but I'm having a problem related to the HID usb driver that Windows loads when the touchscreen is connected to the USB port on the PC. (Please note, the HID USB driver does NOT stay resident in Device Manager if the touchscreen is disconnected from the PC for any reason. Windows auto-loads it upon discovery, then removes it when connection is terminated.)

If SLv2 IE is launched AFTER HID usb driver has loaded, then everything works great. But if the PC gets rebooted for any reason, then Windows fails to load the HID USB driver and the touchscreen is unresponsive. Then a physical keyboard is required to disable SLv2IE, disconnect-reconnect the touchscreen usb, then re-enable the lockdown app.

This is a potential game-changer issue, as we have nearly 280 remote sites throughout the US, each with two PCs and two touchscreens, and zero tech-savvy end-users. These kiosks, once installed, must be hands free and capable of minimal maintenance via remote connect tool only. And the sites are future residential communities, already under construction in semi-remote suburban areas, with minimal infrastructure... they get a LOT of power outtages.

I suspect that I need only "loosen" the controls in the software a tad, but unsure how. Can you tell me which specific lockdown feature might prevent Windows from loading an HID usb driver?
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
8660 E. Hartford Drive, Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

“While he lives, he must think; while he thinks, he must dream.”
― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#790 Quote
Try unchecking the "Disable Desktop" option if it is checked.
11 years ago
#791 Quote
"Disable Desktop" is already unchecked, along with "No Navigation" in IE Layout Options. Also unchecked are "No Downloads" and "Private Browsing" under Other IE Options. All other Customizations checkboxes are currently checked.
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#793 Quote
Addendum to previous post...

I just tried it with "Ease of Access" unchecked, but that made no difference.
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#794 Quote
Are you refering to the standard Windows HID USB driver, or is the system using a third party touchscreen driver? What type of touchscreen are you using? This sounds like a driver problem.
11 years ago
#795 Quote
Here is a Microsoft support article that sounds similar to the problem you're experiencing:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/9e34d9a1-865f-49c0-9ce4-3e9bdc12fa10
11 years ago
#797 Quote
Not using any third-party drivers. Windows auto-loads the HID USB driver upon detection of the touchscreen display.

When Secure Lockdown is NOT engaged, if the Device Manager is open, and "Human Interface Device" and "Mice and other pointing devices" are expanded, you can watch Windows load the USB drivers when the touchscreen connects and is detected.

If I then disconnect the touchscreen from the PC USB port, within moments the drivers disappear.

So the problem occurs if signal between touchscreen and pc usb port is interrupted, while Sec Lock v2 IE is running. Then when Windows needs to reload the USB drivers, SLv2IE prevents it from doing so.

*unfortunately, the link you provided is not pertinent bercause we are not using the third party drivers. I have already spoken with our ELO Tech Support Rep, and he assures me that, sans your program, both the TV and Windows are behaing and communicating with one another as expected. That is why I am trying to resolve issue through you. The problem only presents when SLv2IE is enabled.
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#798 Quote
It will be difficult for us to troubleshoot this problem with out being able to reproduce it. Would it be possible for you to send us a unit? We could figure out the problem quickly and get the unit back to you.
11 years ago
#799 Quote
I'm afraid I have neither, any PCs to spare, nor the authority to ship one off site. Unfortunately, I have until this Friday to present to my boss proof that this solution will work for us, otherwise he is moving ahead on an alternate. I convinced him to give me time to test SLv2IE, because I thought a simpler solution would work best. Besides, my initial contact person at Inteset said your company was scheduled to roll out a central management tool sometime this quarter, and that raised your 'street cred points' a bit. The price point was icing on the cake.

Can you at least tell me which features, in SLv2IE, might prevent Win 7 Prox64 from auto-loading drivers when device is detected?
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#800 Quote
Secure Lockdown mainly modifies the Windows Registry (similar to Group Policy Editor) to lock down components of Windows. It should not interfere with any driver loading operations. The only features of Secure Lockdown that might do this is the "Disable Desktop" feature (which removes the Windows Shell), the "No Ease of Access," or possibly the "No Help and Support" features. Otherwise, it's subject to in-depth process of elimination testing by our engineers to figure it out. We'd need to be able to reproduce the issue, however, to take that step. An engineer mentioned that we'd be able to figure out the issue quickly if we had the right setup. Note that we would not need a PC, just the touchscreen you're intending to use.