Thursday, April 25, 2024 10:55:36 PM

Secure Lockdown v2 IE & Win 7 HID Drivers

11 years ago
#801 Quote
I understand. However, if my boss isn't going to let me ship a simple workstation to a non-company site, asking for permission to ship our one and only 60 inch ELO Touchscreen TV would probably cause him to develop a coronary embolism from excessive maniacal laughter.

As for the PC config, all I did was take a Dell Optiplex 7010, brand new out of box, with factory installed Win 7 Pro x64, install SLv2IE and test.

As long as SLv2IE is NOT enabled, connecting the ELO Touchscreen's USB to the PC's USB causes the following items to appear in Device Manager:

A category, titled "Human Interface Devices" appears. Under it are two "HID compliant device" and four "USB Input Device". NOTE, even the category header is not there until the TV is detected by Windows.

Additionally, an "HID-compliant mouse" appears under the "Mice and other pointing devices" category. Again, it is NOT there until Windows detects the TV.

within a few seconds of disconnecting the TV, all of the drivers listed above (along with the category header "Human Interface Devices" will all disappear.

No other changes occur in the Device Manager, and these changes are consistent and duplicable (assuming you have a 60 inch ELO Touchscreen handy).

I will do some research, to see if there is a way to tell Windows to keep those drivers resident after the device has been disconnected. I'll post any findings.
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
8660 E. Hartford Drive, Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

“While he lives, he must think; while he thinks, he must dream.”
― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#802 Quote
Does ELO have their own drivers (beyond the Microsoft HID driver) for your touch screen that might work better?:

http://www.elotouch.com/Support/Downloads/dnld.asp

We have many, many companies using Secure Lockdown with touch screens (including those from Elo) that do not have this problem. This is the first occurance. Have you tried it on another pc?
11 years ago
#851 Quote
UPDATE:
While I originally thought that something was preventing Windows from loading HID drivers whenever the software was enabled, I can now confirm that was not the case.

The symptoms soon presented with no kiosk software loaded.

It seems as though my testing the software, turning features on and off, 'confused' Windows 7, so that it 'forgot' which display was the touchscreen.

The 'fix', incase anyone else encounters this issue, is to open Windows Control Panel / Tablet PC Settings, and click the 'Setup' button, then follow the onscreen instructions to 'tell' Windows which display is the touchscreen.

Now I am doing all of my kiosk sw evaluation with only the touchscreen connected (sans vga monitor) and so far the sympotoms have not recurred.
Toby Fowler
Helpdesk Analyst
The Ryland Group, Inc.
8660 E. Hartford Drive, Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ  85255
800-624-0320

“While he lives, he must think; while he thinks, he must dream.”
― Isaac Asimov
11 years ago
#852 Quote
Thank you for the feedback. It's very helpful.