Thursday, May 9, 2024 6:10:54 PM

Secure Lockdown - start menu empty & PC locked down but breakout keys don't work

10 years ago
#1594 Quote
Hi. We found two of our touch screen kiosks sitting at the Windows login screen. When we logged in all we get is a black desktop and no items in the Windows start menu. Windows key combinations such as Widows+R are not allowed. It feels as if Interset is running but Alt-Shift-s does not display the Secure Lockdown pop-up (could there be different key combination it has defaulted to?). It' like secure Group Policies have been applied BUT the PC is not joined to a domain. I'm a bit stumped. Normally we run Secure lockdown and when we log in it displays the kiosk home page.
10 years ago
#1595 Quote
Does this occur when you restart the computer?
10 years ago
#1596 Quote
All sorted now thanks. I ended up deleting the local kiosk user and recreating.

I'm not sure what caused the lockdown but it wasn't Secure Lockdown that was restricting actions (to test this I logged onto the administrator account, renamed the Interset programs folder and rebooted. When I logged into the kiosk account the profile was still locked down. So it wasn't Inteset.) When I recreated the user account and profile I configured the Windows settings and was able to run Secure Lockdown successfully.
10 years ago
#1604 Quote
We have exactly the same problem, but the machine is at a remote location. We can remotely operate the machine and have a second user account that has administrator privileges but we're unable to access a log off option to access the account.

How can we recover the system?

Some background.

When the lock down software was used to lock the machine, errors were raised during this process. Following lock down the machine was logged out and back in and this completely locked out state, without the master application running, just the explorer desktop.

The machine has been rebooted. The auto login occurs and we're back to the explorer desktop, no master application. Alt-Ctrl-S doesn't trigger the password dialog.
10 years ago
#1605 Quote
It would appear that the lock down software failed to place a shortcut to the program into the startup folder. We managed to recover the machine by booting into safe mode, use a second user account (with admin rights) to log into the machine and place a short cut into the startup folder.
10 years ago
#1606 Quote
When enabling Secure Lockdown, the Secure Lockdown startup function uses specific Windows Registry application startup keys to ensure the most efficient startup. Some anti-virus applications will block this activity, thus upon reboot, the Secure Lockdown launching mechanism and background utility won't start. Be sure to allow an exception in your anti-virus software for the following two Secure Lockdown executables:

intesetsecurelockdownv2.exe
processlauncher.exe

Both of these exes are found in the program files/inteset/Secure lockdown folder.