Friday, May 10, 2024 4:56:56 PM

Inteset on Dell Venue Pro Win 8.1 locked to Metro Screen

10 years ago
#1614 Quote
I installed the Inteset multi app version (trial) on a Dell Venue Pro device running Win 8.1 Pro.  Without thinking too much I installed the app (through desktop), enabled the service and set a password (didn't assign any applications to it at that time).  It asked for a reboot.  After reboot, the it only loads the Metro interface and has disabled most of the Explorer/Desktop options.  I am however unable to get back into the Inteset app to disable it.  Once on the Metro window if I load say IE, it will be stuck in that application (since none of the gestures work).  I remotely connected to the machine and was able to get a virtual keyboard with Alt key, but it seems when on the Metro interface Alt Shift S doesn't seem to do anything.   How can I get back in, or is the device toast and needing a reinstall?

Thanks

10 years ago
#1615 Quote
Try connecting a bluetooth keyboard to the device if you have one. You can then be able to press the ALt-Shift-S key sequence... We have built in a precautions for this issue in our next build of Secure Lockdown due out tomorrow which allows you to invoke the Secure Lockdown utility with a keypress sequence available on the Win 8.1 virtual keyboard.
10 years ago
#1617 Quote
Thanks for the fast reply.  

To work around the issue I deleted the profile as suggested by a user under: http://shop.inteset.com/boards/topic/497/windows-81-how-do-i-diable/page/1

I'm able to get in with my account, now I'm just trying to figure out how to remove the program so I can do a fresh install.  When I try from Control Panel it tells me there are system policies preventing it from being removed.

10 years ago
#1618 Quote
Can you start Secure Lockdown? It sounds like the utility isn't running. Is this an admin account?
10 years ago
#1621 Quote
We had a similar issue with not being able to use a keyboard to get back in. Our solution was to RDP to the tablet and press the alt-shift-s from remote. Hope that helps.
10 years ago
#1626 Quote
I'm still struggling with uninstalling the software.

I installed it while logged in with my domain admin account.  I then had an issue as described earlier in the post where I enabled Secure Lockdown without assigning an app.  After a reboot I found I wasn't to get past the Metro screen.

From a different box, I was able to delete my profile from c$ share.  I then logged back in (deleted orphan profile)  and was able to get back to seeing the desktop.  At this point if I try to uninstall it says I do not have sufficient permissions and to contact administrator.

I can launch the Secure lockdown config gui.  Thoughts?

Thanks

10 years ago
#1627 Quote
Our latest release posted today has better support for the systems with no physical keyboard and the Windows default on-screen keyboard. With the on-screen keyboard, you can now use the Ctrl+Period hotkey to invoke the Secure Lockdown Configuration utility (regardless of where you are in Windows.) Also, some people set up a bluetooth or USB keyboard to access the configuration utility when Secure Lockdown is enabled. Or, as the previous post mentions, installing the RDP, or other remote access client (ie Logmein) on the tablet will also solve the problem.
10 years ago
#1634 Quote
I was able to finally get it uninstalled.  I think the problem was because some of the steps I had gone through earlier, an orphan Registry key entry was left over preventing the Windows Installer from doing anything.  This item is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

DisableMsi

The value for this was 2, it needed to be flipped to 0.

Can you confirm the build number of the release which was just released?  I have Build 2.00.083 installed, but I cannot seem to launch the admin gui using Ctrl + .
10 years ago
#1635 Quote
The current build is 2.00.083. The 'CTRL+Period' hotkey will only work if Secure Lockdown finds that no physical keyboard is attached to the device. If it senses this, it will display a message indicating so during the start of Secure Lockdown (when Secure Lockdown is disabled.)