Tuesday, April 30, 2024 11:44:20 PM

Windows 8.1 - disabling USB ports

9 years ago
#1835 Quote
Hello,

I am evaluating the MultiApplication Edition.  There is a way to access USB ports on a locked down Windows Desktop that has been set to not allow Local or USB drives:

Here's the path:

1) In the Lock Down configuration tool, have these checked:  "Local Level -> No Local Drives" and "Machine Level -> No USB Drives"

2) Lock down Windows

3) Open locked down Google Chrome

4) In Chrome, type:  file:///E:/  (or whatever drive letter is assigned to the thumb drive)

5) You see list of files on the USB thumb drive. You can proceed to install programs or run stand-alone EXE programs.

Is this is something that was overlooked?
9 years ago
#1837 Quote
Currently the only blocked file:// protocol scheme path is access to C:/ in Chrome. The "No USB Drives" option currently does not handle the Chrome file schemes other than that one as you've noticed. However, all file scheme access will be blocked by default in the next release of Secure Lockdown - Chrome Edition. Note that currently if you're using the Allowed Sites feature, the file scheme will be blocked.
9 years ago
#1839 Quote
Ok great - any idea when will be releasing the next version of MultiApplication with this fix?

Also, I realized that the title of my post is a bit inaccurate.  it's about disabling access to USB storage devices such as thumb drives, external hard drives, etc.  USB ports should be allowed for other devices such as keyboards/mouse/headphones/etc.  
9 years ago
#1840 Quote
5/21 (next Wednesday) is the next release date.
9 years ago
#1844 Quote
Latest update - confirmed this is fixed!

Thanks!