Wednesday, May 8, 2024 1:37:52 AM

windows 8.1 osk.exe virtual keyboard

9 years ago
#1887 Quote
Installed the trial, managed to do everything I wanted.  Then decided to create a shortcut to run windows 8.1 virtual keyboard, system32/osk.exe. Then put it in kiosk mode, worked great.  Then I started playing with features, at some point selected advanced UI mode.  When I put it in kiosk mode, instantly crashed on startup of the kiosk profile.  In fact couldn't login.  Luckily was able to shift + restart, I had unchecked no system reboot option.  Managed to get Windows into restore mode and went back to before I installed the secure lockdown, lost about 4 hours of work.  Anyways, tried to remove software cleanly, including main registry settings.  Reloaded software, used it for a day, virtual keyboard still working.  Decided to tighten down configuration settings.  Went into kiosk mode, had error before shutdown this time.  The keyboard shortcut no longer worked, it's like the permissions in the kiosk mode are screwed up.

When not in kiosk mode, osk still works, but when lockdown, it is either blocked or simply can't run.  This is a real pisser because my system is supposed to be a touchscreen kiosk with no physical mouse or keyboard.  Then I downloaded Inteset's keyboard utility.  It works, tell it to run on startup and login and to never shutdown.  What's funny is that it looks just like osk.exe (windows on-screen keyboard).  Anyways, in kiosk mode, on startup comes right on like it should.  However if you hit the "X" and close it, it stays close, tries to restart, but can't.  You see the cursor become busy every few seconds trying to turn it back on, but it never comes back on.  But then I do a control-alt-delete and the keyboard comes right back.  Hit the "X" again, keyboard gone again.  Amazing how it works half-ass.   Meanwhile the shortcut I originally created pointing to osk.exe has never work again.

I did another thorough uninstall, lost all my settings because I deleted the main registry values that I could find, had to reactivate the trial.  So I was real hopeful I could get it to work, but the kiosk mode remains screwed up.  This weekend I will go into work and uninstall everything again, create a brand new profile with different name, and see if it can straighten itself out.  Hopefully I don't have to wipe the HD completely.

I am shocked that the uninstaller doesn't fully remove the program and all its settings to give you a clean uninstall, that is just poor programming.  Reminds me of Symantec AV.  You had to call them up for a special registry cleaner to remove their software for years.

I am also surprised that Inteset's keyboard utility is also not loading correctly.  When not in kiosk mode, everything works like it should.  If you accidentally close it, it instantly restarts it again--works fantastic.  On lockdown or kiosk mode, the permissions are whacked.  Also, advanced UI should be labeled experimental, definitely not ready for release.  I almost said screw it at that point.

But overall, I like what the product is trying to do, just damn buggy.  For example, in a kiosk, why would you even allow the user to have an "X" to close the virtual keyboard, it's a real problem when it doesn't start back up.

So Monday I will have to explain how I think I have everything working, unless they hit the fricken "X".  Then somebody has to restart the pc again or plug a physical keyboard in and hit control-alt-del to get the virtual keyboard to pop up again.

And when answering this post, don't pretend this issue can't be replicated.  All one has to do is browse through the help forum, tons of posts about the osk having issues.

Also do you have a pdf explaining how to remove the software fully.  Or my favorite when I read the manual, "be careful about AV, you should exempt it for secure lockdown to run".  But no mention of what files, folders, or drivers that you should not scan.  How would I know of what not to scan.  I mean, I sure the hell didn't write the software.  

So anyways, you have a
9 years ago
#1888 Quote
so anyways, the product has enormous potential, just some quarks that need to be straightened out.  

also, it is not reasonable to have to wipe the computer out because the software failed to lockdown correctly and crashed, preventing login.  That needs to be addressed or another method of disabling the software needs to be figured out.  I was the lucky one who skirted around it by loading a restore point.  

...the whole osk issue, I just find that totally annoying.  

thanks for your time, I really hope these issues can be resolved.
9 years ago
#1889 Quote
What edition of Secure Lockdown are you testing? Are you currently testing with a touchscreen? The only items Secure Lockdown leaves behind on an uninstall are its registry settings and any files in its program folder that might be created during runtime. The Secure Lockdown - Administrator Guide describes the two locations where registry settings are stored. Please request this guide by emailing techsupport@inteset.com.
9 years ago
#1890 Quote
I downloaded the latest version directly from the website last night.  Yes I deleted the 32bit program file path, and the 2 locations in the registry you are referring to.  But obviously other values or permissions have been modified.  For example, the osk works until the pc is in kiosk mode.  What's worse is originally the osk worked correctly in unsecured or secure mode.  Obviously this is a permission problem when in lockdown mode.  So when the program crashed, some value or configuration value has changed.  I just loaded it on my home pc, and the osk works just fine in secure mode.

This brings up the other point about uninstalls.  You should be able to cleanly uninstall in the first place, there should at least be an option to remove everything the program has done.  And any values that are changed should be put back to original values in the registry.

For whatever reason, on the pc I started with, osk will not launch after running once successfully from startup in secure mode.  And like I said, you see it trying to restart it, but the secure mode prevents it.  

I decided to just put the computer in and include a physical keyboard.  If they do a quick control-alt-delete then the osk pops back up.  

But it works correctly on the new pc I just tried.

Everything was fine until secure lockdown crashed, now I can't get certain things to work right.  I was hoping a clean uninstall would correct the issue but hasn't.  Next I will delete the profile along with its registry settings.  If it is a profile specific issue then the problem will be resolved.  If not, I guess I am just screwed.

Also you should just put the registry values on your support site, if the product is secure to begin with there should be no fear.

The fact that I installed it to my home pc and the osk works perfectly in secure mode....erghh.

so I guess the real question becomes why after a crash can't the program run the way is was configured.  Maybe the configuration file is corrupt.  But I removed that with the clean uninstall.  

btw, I have no AV on the system.  UAC is off.  The profile is an administrator.  

If I had to put my finger on it, the problem is a permission issue within secure mode.
9 years ago
#1891 Quote
What Edition of Secure Lockdown are you testing - Multi-app, IE, Chrome, Standard? Are you testing with a touchscreen? Which Keyboard Type are you testing "Tablet PC Input Panel" or "On-Screen Keyboard"?
9 years ago
#1896 Quote
yes, it is a touchscreen, multi-edition, Build 2.00.100

anyways, I managed to resolve it.

It appears that when you select No System Keys, for whatever reason, that prevents the launching of the keyboard shortcut I created.

I made a shortcut targeting c:\\windows\system32\osk.exe

when I uncheck No System Keys, the shortcut launches successfully.

This also prevents the OSK from Inteset keyboard utility from running.

However, this issue did not affect the Tablet PC Input Panel.

It only prevented osk.exe from running, and since that is not a system key, that is a little confusing.  But at least I got it working.

By the way, what is the file path for the Tablet PC Input Panel.

thanks
9 years ago
#1897 Quote
Glad you got it working. Thanks for the info on disabling the System Keys option. We will check this. The path to the "Windows Tablet PC Input Panel" is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\TabTip.exe".